Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chang Mai

My trip to Chang Mai started off with a tragic bus ride... The bus I was riding ran over and killed a motorcyclist. It was terrible. Needless to say, I was a bit shell shocked when I reached the city of Chang Mai.

However, this gentle city put me at ease and I am completely smitten. The temples and the monks in orange really dominate the city scape and it is so lovely here.
Yesterday I took a Thai cooking class and went out into the country side to an organic farm where the school hosts the classes. Now I can finally make Curry and Tom Yum Soup as spicy as I want! Watch out guys!

My sunburn has finally settled into a nice tan and now everyone thinks that I am Thai. Its kind of funny. Before my tan everyone thought I was Chinese and now after my tan everyone thinks I am Thai (including Thai people!). So this goes to answer the age old question. Yes, even Asians can't tell Asians apart!

Tomorrow I am off to Mae Hong Son which is a remote area near Myanmar. I am going backpacking in the mountains for a few days so I will be out of touch for a bit. I will take lots of pics.

xo-m

6 comments:

  1. Chang Mai sounds enchanting! When I was in Thailand it was MUDSLIDE season and we were not able to get to Chang Mai...I guess I just have to go back!
    Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that is awful. I'm glad being in Chang Mai helped you recover from that experience. Cooking classes, that sounds like a lot of fun! Does that mean you'll be making some awesome Thai dinners for us when you return?! Have fun in the mountains and stay safe!!!!

    hehe, everyone thinks you're Thai. Well I guess you fit in and no one will call you a farang :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a cool blog. That's intense about the accident.But it sounds like an amazing trip so far. When you get back to Chang Mai, I had the most incredible banana pancakes believe it or not. I'll try and find the name, I still remember them. Nice break from all the spice. Have an amazing time backpacking. Look out for stray elephants and fire ants. So happy for you taking this trip!
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. you must make me some curry when you get back! enjoy the backpacking and I agree avoid the fire ant! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Curry will be made at my house pet mahk mahk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When should I book my flight! me want me some curry! :) xoxo, ernesto

    ReplyDelete